Wednesday 5 February 2014

Alternative Valentines Day Celebrations!


If I'm completely honest although I haven't been single on valentines day for the past 9 years I am still not a fan! My boyfriend and I will sometimes go out for dinner for it, but purely just as an excuse to go out for dinner, we never do presents or anything. I'm always reminded of when I was at school and my friends would get valentines cards and I wouldn't and it just put me off the day for life even when I had someone to share it with haha! 

To be honest the single girl valentines celebrations sound much more appealing to me (no offence to my boyfriend haha)

I love girlie nights in and I think valentines day is as good as an excuse as any! So Paula and I will be providing a few 'alternative' valentines day celebration ideas.

In a bid to keep the night as low cost as possible we purchased items from the poundshop an supermarkets.  
This was our setup, how gorgeous does it all look, this is what we used for decoration;


heart battery powered lights | Poundshop | £1
little red candle votives | Morrison | 50p
large candle | Yankee | £20 (already had)
arran aromatics candle* | St Enoch Centre Glasgow | £19.50
heart napkins | Poundshop | £1
heart plate | B and M | 2 for £1.30
ramekins | Poundshop | £1


We wanted a nice variety of things so went for;

pizza | Asda | £2.50
kimbles Chocolates* | St Enoch Centre Glasgow | £35
mini love hearts | Asda | £3
heart marshmallows | Asda | £2
chocolate for melting | Asda | £1.50



The recipe we used to make the sugar cookies are:

for 20 servings
 75 g margarine
 100 g white sugar
 1 eggs
 2 ml vanilla extract
 145 g  flour
 2 g baking soda
 1 g salt

  • Cream the margarine and add the sugar gradually. Beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg, mixing well.
  • Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda and salt gradually to the creamed mixture, stirring in by hand.
  • Preheat oven to 190 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • Roll dough out on a floured surface to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick and cut into your favorite shapes (we used a set from Poundland). Place cookies onto the prepared baking sheets.
  • Bake at 190 degrees C for 6 to 8 minutes or until cookie has a golden appearance.  They harden and set as they cool so take them out when they start to colour slightly so you then have lovely chewy american sugar cookies.

This is the first time we have made anything like this and they were soooooo tasty! Topped with red colour icing and pink and white pearls.


Glitter Glass by Shelly
We made a chocolate fondue with strawberries and marshmallows and it was sooooo yummy!!!!  We had planned on making homemade face masks also but ran out of time and watching Mean Girls but I forgot the DVD whooppss.  We also enjoyed a little cocktail in these glitter glasses, our aunt makes them, make sure to check out her facebook page.

We both loved our Valentine's Night In.  Are you planning anything special for Valentine's day?  Why not try a girlie night in, let us know if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment