Wednesday 7 May 2014

Chicken Enchilada Soup


Chicken Enchilada Soup

Servings 6

I knew when I spotted this soup on Skinny Taste  website I had to make it.  It just looked right up my street but I wanted to make a few changes to it so below is my changed version.  If you want to view the original then visit Gina's site here.

This is the 2nd time I have made this soup and it is now my favourite, it's more than a soup, it's a meal in a bowl that is warm and comforting.

INGREDIENTS

step1
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced

step2
500ml chicken stock (1 cube)
500ml carton passatta
2 tsp chipotle chili paste
1 teaspoon dried coriander
1 can mixed mexican beans, rinsed and drained
8 tablespoons frozen corn
1 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp cumin ( I used Asda Tex Mex spice mix)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 chicken breast (medium size)

Topping
4 tablespoons cheese of your choice, I used cheddar but have also used low fat cheese - grated
2 mini wraps (or 1 large wrap)



The first time I made this I did it in a pot rather than a slow cooker so it can be done both ways.  Below is the slow cooker way but doing it in the pan it not much different, you just need to get your pot on the smallest hob at the lowest settings and leave for 2-3 hours instead.

Directions:

Step 1:
Heat oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, 5 minutes, then add the garlic for a further minute to soften.

Step 2:
Transfer all other ingredients from step 2 as above to the slow cooker -
chicken stock, passatta, chipotle chili paste, dried coriander, can mixed Mexican beans, frozen corn, paprika, cumin ( I used Asda Tex Mex spice mix), dried oregano, chicken breast


Step 3:
Cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.

Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back into the soup, and taste, you may need to add more paprika or cumin if you feel you need it.  Being a spice freak I am, I did add in some more tex mex spice and some chilli flakes.


Step 4:
I picked up wheat and white mini wraps from Asda so I cut up 2 of them into thin strips and fried in a pan with a little oil until they are golden brown.  One normal size wrap would do.


Step 4:
I picked up wheat and white mini wraps from Asda so I cut up 2 of them into thin strips and fried in a pan with a little oil until they are golden brown.  One normal size wrap would do. 
To store I took the cheese and tortilla mixture, separated into 6 servings and put into a plastic sandwich bag and then popped them in the freezer along with the soup.  I love having soup in the freezer as it makes an instant meal and great for lunch.  So I just take a portion of soup out the freezer along with a portion of cheese and tortilla 

Let me know if you make this yummy soup! 


No comments:

Post a Comment